Claire's Reviews > Blood of the Prodigal

Blood of the Prodigal by P.L. Gaus

F_50x66
Apr 09, 12

bookshelves: mystery

I was a bit disappointed with this book. After the first few chapters, I wondered if this really was the first book in the series (it is according to both the ebook I borrowed from the library and the Goodreads db) since there was very little introduction to the characters, and no character development to speak of over the course of the story. I could have overlooked the lack of character development if the mystery itself had been interesting, but there too, I was disappointed. I read mysteries for the whodunnit aspect, to see if I can solve the mystery along with the investigating characters, but that was impossible here - there was simply no way of doing so. The "climax" of the story seemed rushed and to come out of nowhere, as did the 'villains' responsible for the mystery. Between the flat characters, a mediocre mystery, and a very out-of-place high-speed chase, I felt as if the book was a waste of time. The best thing I can say is that Gaus really knows the Amish world (well, it seems that way to me) and the sections of the story set among the Amish were the most interesting parts of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood of the Prodigal.