Stephen Tremp's Reviews > 17 Degrees North

17 Degrees North by Larry Seeley

Apr 09, 12

Read in March, 2012

Seventeen Degrees, the follow up to Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves, opens with protagonist Jack Sloan who discovers of a satchel full of cash. What follows is the killing of a prominent New York hedge fund manager, a missing five hundred million dollars, a connection with A Mexican drug cartel, the FBI, a long line of corpses along the way, and Jack Sloan and his wife Darlene at the center of everything.

I love the Jack Sloan character, who I liken to Jack Reacher from the Lee Child series. He has steel in his back and velvet in his heart. Author Larry Seeley continues to masterfully develop his characters. Example: Too often I read characters who endure traumatic events that would break most people, only to see them in the next book bounce back as if nothing happened. In Seventeen Degrees, Jack Sloan is battling Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from the attack at their rancho in the first book that manifests in regular nightmares. This is part of the character arc Sloan has to overcome as the relentless killer pursues the satchel of cash Jack found.

17 Degrees is not a book to buy for your kids. But if you like gritty straight up action, relentless killers, and well developed characters, then 17 Degrees and Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves are books I highly recommend. Download them both and read them in order. Thanks Larry for the second book and I hope there is a third one soon!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 17 Degrees North.