Matthew Vaughn's Reviews > Quintessence of Dust

Quintessence of Dust by Craig Wallwork

Apr 22, 12

bookshelves: 2012, general-fiiction, reviewed
Read in April, 2012

I’ve known of Craig Wallwork for quite awhile. We both frequent The Velvet forums, though him more so than me. A lot like the other writers on The Velvet his work was one that I always meant to check out. His name has sat on that ever growing list of people I want to read. With the publication of Warmed and Bound, an anthology from The Velvet, that finally changed. After reading Craig’s story, Bruised Flesh, I wanted to kick myself for waiting so long to check his work out. Coincidentally, right after I finished reading W&B I came across the pre-order for his first book, Quintessence of Dust. I jumped all over that. It was really cool that while waiting for my copy of the book to arrive Kuboa Press made a few of their titles available for free on smashwords. I was able to download QoD and read it before the physical book was in my hands.
This is a collection of eleven stories, all well written and most are a bit twisted. There is one common factor that binds all these stories together, and that is Mr. Wallwork’s amazing talent. From the emotional impact of a father and his young daughter fighting to survive in Night Holds A Scythe; to one man’s duty to be there for his best friend, who happens to be a Minotaur, in Men of Honor. These stories are original, interesting, and extremely well written. Craig Wallwork seems to have quite the imagination, and he possesses the skills to expertly convey said imagination onto paper.
It would almost be too difficult to pick a favorite from this collection, but if pressed, I really enjoyed Morning Birdsong quite a bit. The character of Ralph was both humorous yet heroic when the time called for it. There could be a larger story behind this short one, and I would be all for reading it.
These stories will pull you into their world and you will know these characters like they are your friends, or your neighbors, or someone sitting next to you on the train. There is no doubt in my mind that Craig Wallwork is a name we’ll be seeing more of, and I for one am grateful. He writes the kind of stories that keeps me reading books, and he writes them better than a lot of the big names.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quintessence of Dust.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Craig Wallwork Very kind of you, Matt. Glad you enjoyed it. You win first prize for being the first ever person to review my book. The prize will be a free copy of my next novel once it's released. By the way, what was your favourite story in the collection?

Matthew Vaughn Seriously? That's awesome, thanks! It's a hard choice, but I think Morning Birdsong may have it for me. Ralph had me laughing with his train etiquette, I really dug the concept of the story, the demons were pretty cool. But as close fav's I'd like to throw in Night holds a Scythe and Men of Blood. I'll have a proper review up soon.

Craig Wallwork Thanks. Yes, Ralph was a real charmer. That story was based on some truth. Not the demons escaping from Hell and killing people on coaches, but I took that trip mentioned in the book and fell in love with a girl next to me, yet all I saw was her arm. Always wondered what she looked like. Missed opportunity. And no worries about the novel. Nearer its release, I'll get a copy to you.