Kim's Reviews > Flirtin' With the Monster: Your Favorite Authors on Ellen Hopkins' Crank and Glass

Flirtin' With the Monster by Ellen Hopkins

Apr 17, 12

Read in April, 2012 — I own a copy

I had to read this for my English class (because we can't read CRANK and GLASS at my school). I was blown away! Even though Hopkins wrote her stories about her daughter's meth addiction, they aren't 100% truth (for the sake of their privacy).Hopkins says that CRANK was 60% truth and 40% fiction. GLASS was 70% truth and 30% fiction. That is easy to understand why she wanted privacy. Said that, the story line is the same. My class had to read each section and take a written test each week. And to see how much we actually learned we had to write 7 things in detail about it. I soon found out that it was not as hard as it looked. This book is a work of nonfiction, and a very good example of that. I think that even though some of us groaned and complained, we got the message Ellen Hoopkins was trying to get across: "This can happen to everyone. Be careful. Drugs are bad...They can mess up anyone, even a straight A student." All in all, I was blown away!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flirtin' With the Monster.