Carrie's Reviews > Fall of Giants

Fall of Giants by Ken Follett

Apr 10, 12

Read in March, 2012

This book has been a huge disappointment. I absolutely loved "Pillars of the Earth" and "World Without End", and expected this book to be just as good. It is not. Follett ventures too far into the minutiae of the politics of WWI and the Russian Revolution, not focusing enough on his characters and his plot. For me, "Fall of Giants" was too often missing the intricate story telling that made the other two books I mentioned so good. I found myself not even particularly caring what happened to the characters and had to re-read passages detailing the strategy behind battles and politics multiple times. Boring.

I will admit that I learned far more about WWI than I knew in the past, but I did not set out to read a history book. I love historical fiction, but the author must remember that it is first and foremost fiction, with the history of the time period only serving to enrich the story. I did like the ending of this book, which shows how the current events of the mid-1920s were affecting each of the main characters, while keeping the focus squarely on the characters, not on the history. I am sure I will read the next book in this trilogy when it comes out later this year. I can only hope Follett gets back to the story telling that I love.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fall of Giants.