Elia's Reviews > House of Night

House of Night by P.C. Cast

Apr 12, 12

bookshelves: vampires
Read from April 09 to 11, 2012

I am wiritng my review for the entire series in this book because what I read was the ARC for the upcoming graphic novel collection.
First - in the interest of full disclosure - I have to say I had no idea this was a Y.A. series before I started reading the Graphic Novel, so I did not come into it as a fan, or have any preconceived notions of that the series was "supposed" to be like, or what the characters were "supposed" to look like.
That being said, I was surprised at seeing some of the negative reviews, because I liked the series. I thought the artwork was well done, and it was interesting to see a fresh take on vampires (a subject I LOVE) that did not leave me with a bad taste in my mouth like Twilight did.
It was very interesting to me to see (for the first time) a vampire society that is matriarchal, and centered around a goddess and the power of females. I think it's a good message for young women, who will undoubtedly be the primary readership of the series. I also enjoyed that the author took well-know females from history and mythology and made them into powerful vampires. Another refreshing aspect was the fact that the protagonist is Native American - something that is rarely seen in Young Adult literature, though her culture is never really explored beyong a short altercation between her bother and a group of racist boys.
Overall, I would recommend this series to both young women and young men who want a "different" sort of vampire story and who are fans of graphic novels regardless of wether or not they have read the original series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House of Night.