Laura's Reviews > Palace of Stone

Palace of Stone by Shannon Hale

Jul 21, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from June 23 to 24, 2012 — I own a copy

There are two main things I loved about Princess Academy: the characters themselves and how the characters actually used what they learned to better their lives and the lives of those around them. Although Miri and her friends have moved on from the "princess academy" of the first book, education is still a huge part of Miri's life, and I love Miri's thirst for knowledge. I think there are a lot of young people out there who can relate to that, I certainly could at Miri's age, although they may not admit it out loud. A lot of readers will probably also relate to Miri's desire to both be home with her family, but also stretch her wings and be out on her own a bit.

Miri and her friends are still as real and believable as they were in the first book, and it's nice to see how the characters are growing up. I also enjoyed watching a certain romance develop as the story went on. There's definitely a more urgent tone in this book than the first one, the kingdom is on the brink of revolution, which I think will keep readers glued to the edge of their seats to find out what will happen to Miri, Britta, the prince, and the kingdom. Highly recommended.

Note: I read this as a free eARC from Netgalley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Palace of Stone.