Maggie Donaldson's Reviews > The Outlander

The Outlander by Gil Adamson

F 50x66
Apr 09, 2012

Read from April 09 to 21, 2012

I really enjoyed this book. Adamson wrote so poetically and vividly, you could summon up the feeling of being lost in the high, creaking forests and could feel the chill frosted air in your lungs! She did seem to have extraordinary 'luck' in encountering so many good samaritans, but you forgave her for the tremendous characters she created - Bonny was my favourite, I think. However, I was annoyed at the ending. I am not sure why Adamson did it that way *SPOILER ALERT!!!* - after all the trials and tribulations, and after William HAD struggled to find her, why does she want him to go through it again? Perhaps she had come to the realisation that she was independent and capable of taking care of herself now, had survived so much and been under the control of so many men, that it was HER decision to make about her destiny and that of her unborn baby. I don't know, maybe that's the feminist in me talking. But the ROMANTIC in me wanted them to stay found together. Anyway, a great read, nicely complementing Vanderhaege's Canadian Western, The Englishman's Boy, that I finished a couple of months ago (also about a pursuit across the wilderness) and I thik I now need to read The Sisters Brothers about........two brothers, pursuing someone across the North American wilderness!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Outlander.