Stephanie 's Reviews > The Bridge of San Luis Rey

The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder

Aug 04, 09

bookshelves: classics
Read in July, 2009

Yet another disappointing Pulitzer to add to my list of disappointing Pulitzers. Yes, this book explores many important philosophical topics. Yes, the writing style is beautiful. Yes, the stories of the individuals involved in the collapse of the bridge are interesting. Yes, trying to use math to determine a person's worth using a system of markers and scores is fascinating. BUT, none of this added up to a fun read for me. Frankly, I was bored for most of the book, although I did enjoy the story of Esteban.

I was surprised to find this book shelved in both the adult and YA sections of my local library - I teach high school and I don't know many students that could handle the weighty Bridge of San Luis Rey, or would even try to finish it. I would NOT recommend this one for teens.

I am also going to add that I read this book before bed each night while on sleep-inducing allergy medication, so I might not have appreciated it as much as I could have. I think this one will need to be reread so I can assess it more fairly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bridge of San Luis Rey.

07/24/2009 page 41

Gregory Rothbard I agree with you on this one. Thanks for your views. At least it was short one.