Ebookwormy's Reviews > Ancient Greek War and Weapons

Ancient Greek War and Weapons by Haydn Middleton

Apr 09, 12

bookshelves: history-creation-to-fall-of-rome, world-europe
Read in March, 2012

Perhaps 'perused' is a better designation than 'read'. Nonetheless, knowing how hard it to assess materials for homeschool via on-line display, I wanted to publish my impressions.

Boys interested in soldiers and warfare will be instantly drawn to this title and this proved to be the case in our home. However, a minimum of illustrations made it seem "too hard" to kids that otherwise could have handled the reading and material.

The book covers periods in Greek history (battle of Troy, assault of the Persians, Peloponnesian War, Macedonian, etc), as well as a little bit of strategy and quite a bit of technology (various weapons, fighting on land via infantry and horseback, fighting on sea, changes to how armies fought that provided a winning advantage). The training of soldiers, their social status, formations and cultural influences (such as the unique culture of Sparta that produced a different type of soldier) give insight into the soldiering life from a common man's perspective.

The section on Vergia/ Aigai entitled "How do we know?" might have been better placed toward the beginning instead of the end. 2 page sections on "The Cost of War" and "Limiting the Damage" were especially beneficial in helping children to understand the negatives of the often sentimentalized 'glory of war.'

How could it have been made better? My best suggestion would be more photos and illustrations. This would have, of course, made the book longer, but I think the reluctant reader (which many boys are) would benefit from a little more encouragement. Otherwise, recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ancient Greek War and Weapons.