Justyn Rampa's Reviews > Oz: Ozma of Oz

Oz by Eric Shanower

Apr 09, 12

bookshelves: childrens, classics, fantasy, graphic-novels
Read in April, 2012

This was without a doubt my favorite book of the bunch. The original text served as the other half of the inspiration for the film "Return to Oz" and is full of wonderful little bits of plot. At this point, this is the third OZ book by Baum. A series he never intended to happen but once Wonderful Wizard of Oz was so popular, he decided to make it a series.

While the first two books I felt lacked some plot logic and had some characters giving up quite easily, this book really starts to develop into some nice motivations and character development. This roster sees the return of Dorothy, a character I am not completely in love with, as well as Scarecrow, Tin Man, and The Cowardly Lion (a character I am completely in love with). In addition to the returning favorites, we also have Tik-Tok (potentially my favorite OZ character), Billina, the Wheelers, Princess Langwidere, Ozma, and the introduction of the Nome King!

It is interesting how Baum plays with gender in his books and I don't know how much of that was intentional vs. me just ascribing a modern reading of it. Also, he is clearly improving at world building by the third text as we visit the Land of Ev in this book, not OZ, though there are plenty of call backs. Again, there brief moments of illogical plot but overall, I loved it!

At this point in time, Eric Shanower and Skottie Young are continuing with adaptation of each Baum book in sequential order! I look forward to the release of "Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz" next!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oz.