Kate's Reviews > Doc Sidhe

Doc Sidhe by Aaron Allston

Apr 12, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, ebook, noir, faeries
Read from April 09 to 10, 2012

Okay, it might not be the best-written book I've ever read, but it was a hell of a lot of fun, and exactly what I wanted/needed to read at the moment!

Your fairly standard "two twinned worlds" story, with a twist - one world belongs to the fair folk, the traditional fae, and one is ours, and the fair world lags behind activiities in the grim world by a few decades. Which means that, yes, this is a semi-steampunk 1930s-ish noir-esque romp through an alternate pulp-inspired world. It's Dick Tracy come to life, in all its technicolour glory, plus magic and fae and redcaps and two-way televisions and golems.

It is exactly as awesome as that sounds.

The grimworld characters we're supposed to care about are actually quite dull and one-dimensional, although the author gives us just enough of a taste of the nuance of his fairworld characters and their backgrounds that we know he's capable of doing much better. Honestly, I didn't care a whit about Harris, Gaby, their relationship, etc. I loved the fairworlders, and especially the more mysterious ones - the capable and affable Alastair, the elusive Noriko - and wanted to explore their personalities and exploits more. Doc was interesting, although the setup with his arch enemy was pretty predictable, and the arch-enemy himself (and his compatriots) would've been interesting to explore in more depth.

The action scenes were slam-bang, and there was actually a REASON for the main character to be so good at kicking butt, which was nice for a change.

Really, though, the attraction of this book is CLASSIC PULP FAERIES. Read it for that. It's worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doc Sidhe.

04/10/2012 page 200
04/10/2012 page 238
71.0% "This is totally what I wanted to read this week. Awesome."