Alexa Avenell's Reviews > Stork

Stork by Wendy Delsol

Apr 09, 2012

Stork by Wendy Delsol drew in my attention with the title alone. Never had I ever read a book that focused on the idea of storks, so this concept was new and interesting. Katla, the main character, is forced to move from L.A. to Norse Falls, Minnesota after her parents divorce. As common the theme is, the story the reader is delivered is anything but common. The Icelandic history and the Stork society that was introduced in this novel was so different. I found myself wanting to know more about the society and more of the meaning of being a Stork. This, for me, is where the book lacked.

Katla's ability to chose who becomes pregnant, is a strange gift. The dreams she has are depicted in a such a way that they seem realistic. The hidden meanings in the dreams that Katla had to make sense of, was an aspect of the story and her gift that I truly enjoyed. Due to the fact that I was so interested in the Stork society, I wanted the novel to focus more on the society and less on her relationship with Jack, although I did find his character to be extremely likable and adorable. Their relationship, which began with hatred, grew into a whirl-wind romance. It at times was a little bit too "lovey-dovey", but overall, it was fitting for the characters.

When I read the book originally, I was under the impression that this novel was a stand alone and would not be part of a series of any sort. Later after looking into the author, I found out that there is indeed a sequel called Frost. The addition of the sequel has brought the rating of this book up, because in it I hope to find more information on the society I have become so enchanted by. Out of five stars, I give this book a four. I would recommend this to anyone that enjoys Maggie Stiefvater, Lauren Kate, and Stephanie Meyer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stork.