Melissa's Reviews > Book of the Dead

Book of the Dead by Patricia Cornwell

Apr 17, 12

bookshelves: csi-mystery
Read from April 05 to 14, 2012

Well, my first Patricia Cornwell and I was not terribly pleased. I started with this book, which is apparently the 15th in the Scarpetta series, because it was on the bookshelf at the vacation home we rented a few weeks ago. Some authors do a good job of making a book that is in the middle of a series still good as a stand alone book. There are usually references to past experiences and stories but generally they don't detract from the immediate story. Not really so with Book of the Dead. I felt like I was jumping into the middle of these characters lives and I didn't like them because I didn't know them. Perhaps I would have liked the story better if I had read the previous 14 books. Characters aside, I didn't love the way Cornwell wrote, she jumped around a lot and I found myself having to reread passages to understand what was being said. Additionally, I felt the ending was unsatisfying and left loose ends. All in all, I wasn't happy with my first Corwell experience. Perhaps she has written so many books and developed a fan base so she can write a book that is not as good and get away with it. Doesn't fly with a first time reader though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Book of the Dead.