Dana's Reviews > Getaway

Getaway by Lisa Brackmann

Jun 04, 12

Read in May, 2012

Add to the mix a tightly woven plot, believable and unique characters, and one of my favorite villains of all times, and you have an excellent second novel by the author of Rock, Paper, Tiger. I like Brackmann's heroines because they aren't action heroines. They're normal people thrust into abnormal and dangerous situations and behave accordingly. To quote another review here because it so perfectly encapsulates my feelings:

"Ms. Brackmann has a knack of creating characters that have faced trauma in their lives and as a result have become somewhat indifferent or ambivalent; and placing them in situations that forces them to pull on inner reserves and strengths to deal with it."

Michelle, the heroine in Getaway, doesn't start kicking ass and figuring out everything like some sort of Nancy Drew on steroids. Instead she behaves the way most people would when suddenly faced with having to make choices that could end up getting her -- or other people -- killed. She's confused, ambivalent about what she should do and who, if anyone, she can trust,and (very sensibly) scared. Nothing in her life to date has prepared her for the situation she finds herself in and I enjoyed -- and believed -- Michelle's internal monologue/thought process as she tries to figure out what to do next.

The ending is, for me, highly satisfying (no spoilers), very believable, and leaves plenty of room for a sequel without feeling like it was designed to insure one. It does, however, instill a subliminal desire for margaritas.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Getaway.