Dana Stabenow's Reviews > That Used to Be Us: How America Fell Behind in the World It Invented and How We Can Come Back

That Used to Be Us by Thomas L. Friedman

Jul 23, 12

Read from April 09 to July 23, 2012

I finally skimmed through to the end. If you've never read one of Friedman's books, this one is probably the one you want to read first (although my personal favorite of his is still From Beirut to Jerusalem). If you have read all of his books already, you have read most of this before somewhere else. Essentially the message is: Stop spending money on waging war and start spending it on supporting the peace, especially in infrastructure and education.

I'm not as anxious about the future of the USA as Friedman is. As Winston Churchill once said, “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else.” After two wars and a tax cut put us into the economic toilet, I think we're finally staggering into the right thing, especially after reading this essay by Martin Walker: http://www.wilsonquarterly.com/articl... The statistics on Russia and China are especially enlightening, as is what he says about America attaining energy independence by 2020.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That Used to Be Us.