Marina's Reviews > Wishbone

Wishbone by Brooklyn Hudson

F_50x66
Apr 27, 12

Read from April 09 to 20, 2012

Julien Grenier grew up in France with his father and his grandfather. The father was very violent and always accused him for the death of his mother. She died giving birth to Julien. At the age of nine, Julien witnessed the brutal murder of his grandfather committed by the father. And he ran away.

Forty years later, Julien lives in Manhattan. He is married to Rachael and lives a happy life, but the nightmares from his past are always there. His past is the reason that he doesn’t want children. At the day of their anniversary, his wife was brutally attacked in their apartment. Beaten and raped, she lost the baby. The baby that Julien didn’t know about. The baby that supposed to be a surprise gift for their marriage anniversary.

After couple of months recovering from the tragedy, the couple decides to move to countryside. Kings Hollow seems like a nice place for a new start. The house is a lovely farm with lots of fruits and animals. The neighbors are nice, especially seventeen-years-old Sarah who takes care for the chickens on the farm.

One day, just for fun, Julien and Rachael played the wishbone game. They ate the chicken, made a wish and cracked the wishbone. Just for fun. Never imagining that a children’s game may become a nightmare. Their wishes came true.

Their wishes came true. Their fears came back. Their nightmares became real.
How can this be true? Is this real?

I stayed up all night to finish reading this story. I couldn’t put it down. There were turns and twists on every corner. In one moment you think: ”Aha, this is the culprit, this is what is really going on”. In next one: ”Oh, no, I was wrong”. I couldn’t predict the end. Somehow it reminded me on Stephen King stories. Mystery and horror. I liked the plot, the way it was narrated. The two main characters, Julien and Rachael were very well written, with their fears and nightmares, with their love for each other.

For everyone who likes mystery and horror, who likes Stephen King’s style, this is a must-read. I highly recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wishbone.