Tara Brown's Reviews > The Iron Duke

The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook

Apr 09, 2012

liked it
Read in April, 2012

I finished reading the book in less than a week. I think some of the writing was a bit clunky throughout the book, particularly in the first chapter I felt it a bit hard to grok the setting. Thankfully it got a bit smoother in the second chapter. I loved the author's imagination particularly when describing the steampunk gadgets.

I read the book on Kindle and am just seeing the cover now and what the Iron Duke supposedly looks like...not at all what I pictured from reading the description of him. The guy on the cover looks too narrow and small.

I'm going to have to say that I thought the main characters got out of tough situations a little too easily...there was always that build up when they got into a tough spot and then it just fizzled a bit because they never had to try that hard to escape it until they were onto the next challenge. I liked the fast pace but I think there should have been some more devastating results. I suppose the author wanted sequels and so killing more of the interesting characters wasn't a good idea, but still...

Lastly, the ending was a bit rushed. That's been a big complaint with a bunch of books I've been reading lately...not that I want the ending to drag on, but come on, that was kind lame.

p.s. nanobots and Zombies FTMFW

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Duke.