Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Nobody Here but Me

Nobody Here but Me by Judith Viorst

Apr 25, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: childrens, fiction, picture-books, reviewed
Read on April 25, 2012

Well, I’m a tad confounded about who are the best readers/listeners for this story. It’s definitely NOT for truly neglected or abused children. The best audience for this book, I think, is children from families who occasionally get lost in the shuffle and only children who are sometimes lonely and assume the grass is greener on the other side. And kids in general who are in generally good home situations.

If it weren’t for the last page that does show some true affection between these family members, I’d probably deduct a star; I’d definitely deduct a star.

As is, I’d like to think this was a particularly bad and busy day for this family. The busy mother and father and rather mean sister all tell the boy to go away. So, left to his own devices he gets into some trouble, all in order to get some attention. It could be worse and he engages in some innocuous as well as mildly destructive behaviors. In the end I think all is supposedly supposed to be okay, but really nothing is resolved and when the story ends, nobody apologizes and I don’t see any learning/guidance taking place.

I could have done without this one.

But I think some children will like it and reading it with a child or group of children could lead to some interesting discussions.

I did really enjoy the illustrations.

And I know I have liked other children’s picture books by this author.

2 ½ stars
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nobody Here but Me.

Kathryn Great review, Lisa! I like how you showed how the book was probably supposed to be viewed--but yet how it didn't really work well or beneficially to that end. I was pretty dismayed with this one, too.

Lisa Vegan Kathryn wrote: "Great review, Lisa! I like how you showed how the book was probably supposed to be viewed--but yet how it didn't really work well or beneficially to that end. I was pretty dismayed with this one, ..."

Yes, I probably should have skipped it. Ah well. We're not alone. I noticed that many aren't fans of this one.