Skyla 's Reviews > The Immortal Rules

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

Apr 02, 14

bookshelves: did-not-finish

After reading the synopsis for this book my first thoughts were that it sounded like a post-apocalyptic version of the film "Daybreakers".

My first thought upon seeing the cover for this book was 'Why is there a tear running down from the MIDDLE of her eye? And why does she have no expression on her face?"

After reading several friends' reviews and status updates I am a bit conflicted about if I even want to attempt to read this book. I am not a fan of Julie Kawagwa, the only thing I read from her was the short story from Valentine's of this year and I was not impressed by the plot or her writing style...but I do like vampires and I liek post-apocalyptic type stuff so maybe?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immortal Rules.

12/17 "Decided to watch Daybreakers first so I can truly compare the two and since I just finished The Farm we can see how similar everything is."
12/18 page 30
6.0% "Not sure about this so far." 2 comments
12/20 page 50
10.0% "Pick up already! I'm getting bored."
12/20 page 55
11.0% "I am putting this aside for now as I am BORED!!"
12/22 page 55
11.0% "Officially putting this on hold while I finish reading better books. I might pick it up in a few months but right now I am just not in the mood to read it."
04/02 marked as: did-not-finish

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Skyla (new) - added it

Skyla Adam "Archer" wrote: "Yup. I couldn't help it. it's striking me as Daylighters meets THG"

Glad to know I'm not the only one.

message 2: by Amber J. (new)

Amber J. do you guys mean Daybreakers - the movie with Ethan Hawke?

message 3: by Skyla (new) - added it

Skyla Amber J. wrote: "do you guys mean Daybreakers - the movie with Ethan Hawke?"

Yes, yes we do. Why the hell did I think it was called Daylighters? Editing now.

message 4: by Amber J. (new)

Amber J. lol that happens sometimes, I only remember the name because the ending of that movie freaked me out

message 5: by Skyla (new) - added it

Skyla Amber J. wrote: "lol that happens sometimes, I only remember the name because the ending of that movie freaked me out"

What freaked you out about it?

message 6: by Amber J. (new)

Amber J. I get that it was supposed to be beautiful and symbolic and everything (and I'm not squeamish) but it was even too much for me.

Because the vampires feed on him and they become human, but then more vampires come and feed on them and they become human, but then more vampires come and it was all teeth and blood and body parts and I was like, "Oh God, when is this going to stop!" lol

message 7: by Skyla (new) - added it

Skyla Amber J. wrote: "I get that it was supposed to be beautiful and symbolic and everything (and I'm not squeamish) but it was even too much for me.

Because the vampires feed on him and they become human, but then mo..."

message 8: by Amber J. (new)

Amber J. Skyla (Happy Go Lucky and Lost in Books) wrote: "Okay I was thinking you meant the end end. I was like "What freaked you out about driving off into the sunrise?"

LOL (oops, I guess I meant not-quite-the-end end)

message 9: by Skyla (new) - added it

Skyla Stargirl1234 wrote: "To me, this book was a very long MEH type of book. The beginning was very good, dragged in the middle, for a good chunk of the book. Not a fan of Kagawa either. You might like it. It's got a lot of..."

I have put it on hold for now as I am just not feeling it.

Katie I agree with Stargirl. The first part of the book is good, but the second half of the novel drags and takes the story in a different direction.

message 11: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary I didn't enjoy her Iron Fey series but I have to recommend this book. The heroine is actually smart and thinks about her actions before she does them. I really am loving this book.