Itsjustme-wendy's Reviews > The Green

The Green by Karly Kirkpatrick

Apr 16, 12

Read from April 09 to 15, 2012

4.5 Stars!

I really liked this book. It was very real to me, and was very well written. There was great character development. I really liked Ari and also liked James (the love interest). I thought that part was well done. I think the subject of teen drug dealing should come into more YA reading. It is definitely a problem that teens face today and it does make for very interesting (and kinda scary) reading.

The things I didn't like about this book and the reason for not giving it 5 stars - Waaaay too much swearing! I do understand her reasoning, we're talking about drugs and dealing here. But... I think she should have just had Ari's brother and his friend swearing and not had Ari swearing (just my opinion). There were a few times when Ari said "freakin'" and I think that was just as effective for her. The other thing (without giving away the ending) I am glad that it ended the way it did because the whole book made it seem a little too easy for a high school girl to sell drugs for college money. I don't think enough bad happened to discourage other kids from doing this.

I do highly recommend this book! It was interesting on every page. I think I read it in one day, almost in one sitting. Even with all the swearing I do recommend it for teens due to the subject matter. It is important for teens to read this kind of stuff. If I had a teen right now I would rather them read this than "Twilight". This was about real life, this was not fantasy. And it did have the "moral/lesson" at the end. I thought it ended very well!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Green.