Alison's Reviews > Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist's Quest to Discover If Her Life Makes Her Ass Look Big, or Why Pie Is Not the Answer

Such a Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster

Apr 15, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: american, cnf, contemporary, humor, memoir
Read from April 09 to 15, 2012

I was hovering between 2 and 2.5 stars throughout most of this book. Normally I love humor writing. And I (like the author) have mixed feelings after my experiences with Weight Watchers (program itself=great; meetings= suck).

But throughout the book, I kept thinking, “Really? You and your husband exchange 100-percent clever witticisms in every single sentence you speak to each other?”

And, “Really? You cussed out an innocent shampoo girl at the salon? You honestly and truly did that?”

(Also, I have to subtract major points for the fact that, as with the last book I read, another humor book by Laurie Notaro Autobiography of a Fat Bride, THE MODEL / DRAWING OF A WOMAN'S BODY ON THE COVER ARE NOT EVEN EFFING CLOSE TO BEING “FAT.” Not the authors' faults, but still.)

I also usually eat Notaro's books right up without questioning their absolute veracity. So I think my experiences reading both of these books might have been slightly tainted by the whole brouhaha going on in the literary world right now, involving Mike Daisy and that guy who lied about the number of vans in Las Vegas (or whatever).

I had trouble really believing these (Lancasters' especially) on an emotional level, whatever the facts (or lack of).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Such a Pretty Fat.