Shana Martin's Reviews > Balloons Over Broadway: The True Story of the Puppeteer of Macy's Parade

Balloons Over Broadway by Melissa Sweet

F 50x66
Apr 09, 12

bookshelves: eced221

The informative story Balloons over Broadway: The True Story of the Puppeteer of Macy's Parade by Melissa Sweet is a book about Tony Sarg, the man behind the puppets of the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. As a young boy, Sarg created small puppets and kept creating bigger and better in order for all the patrons to see. Tony Sarg was able to take his passion of creating puppets into a career.
The informative story was able to expand the reader’s awareness by letting them take a walk in Tony Sarg’s shoes. By getting the perspective of Tony, the reader is able to learn how the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade puppets came about as well as give empathy. For example, the reader is able to cheer on Tony Sarg during his creation of the puppets and wanting him to strive with his invention. The story provides an enjoyable read that doesn’t teach a moral because it is more to inform readers of how puppets came about. Furthermore, the story tells the truth about Tony Sarg’s invention of puppets in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade by using accurate insight and true to life characters such as Tony. The story meets the criteria of embodying qualities because the description of Sarg’s invention is telling by use of precise and descripted words. The plot is convincing because it explained how Tony started out with his invention and how far it went that is still used today. Also, the characters in the story are believable because Tony is a true person in real life. Furthermore, the story has integrity because it brings the literature works into making a satisfying whole. Finally, the informative story meets the criteria of being original because it creates a fascinating viewpoint for readers to see into the eyes of Tony Sarg. Also, it was able to give readers a new way of thinking about how the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade came about with use of detailed pictures.
I enjoyed the informative story because it told an interesting story that used descripted pictures to create visual pictures. The book struck me by explaining how a small invention turned into something huge that I never knew the background upon. However, the story isn’t relatable to my life because I never created an invention that turned into a career. Furthermore, I would use the story in my classroom during Thanksgiving to show students how the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade came about from one man’s invention.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Balloons Over Broadway.