Suz's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Apr 17, 12

Read in April, 2012

I'm reading this at the same time as reading Game of Thrones. It was sort of a read-off to see on which I'd want to spend more time. "The Hunger Games" wins by a hair (a big hair) for 2 reasons. 1) I saw Season 1 of Game of Thrones and the season so closely follows the book there is not much I will learn over and above what I already know (er - rememember). 2) This is such a unique story and unfathomable in many ways, but the emotions that thus far are going into how the main character makes decisions and works out internal dialogues allows everyone to relate.

Book 1 was awesome to put it simply. What an interesting story and very well written. I found that I didn't think too much about gender and had no problem suspending disbelief. Often when a female is put in a strong physical role where she's triumphing over men, it sometimes is hard to not to consider that she's female and either have an opinion that either it's unrealistic or she's some extraordinary female (I'm female). This was so well written that I never once thought that. Also, the level of violence is another angle that's hard to get right but I found myself not questioning the necessity of it. Well done book 1!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.