Christie's Reviews > The Healer's Apprentice

The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson

Apr 09, 12

The Healer's Apprentice was a pleasant surprise. I wasn't expecting much from it, being more of a YA tale. I didn't realize that it was a Christian fiction book either, but that is actually a preference of mine... so I was happy. It is a clean romance, with no profanity or sensuality. It does have faith and Christian elements, but not so much that it is on the preachy side. While there are mentions of prayer, scripture, and rules of the Church there isn't so much to throw off a secular reader. The only part that I found somewhat annoying/strange was how they handled the evil sorcerer part. That said it is a very small part at the end, so easily forgivable. It doesn't ruin the story.

Rose is the apprentice to the town healer. It's a job that she is not all that thrilled about- considering she has some qualms about dealing with injuries and blood. She feels that this is her future; being the daughter of a woodcutter, she is a low man on the marriageability totem pole. But her hopes rise when she becomes the object of fancy to the two local royals. Wilhelm is responsible, kind, sweet, and caring. He comes to truly care for Rose, but he is betrothed. Rupert, his brother, is more the bad boy who supposedly is changing his ways to woo Rose.

The story is predictable. But it is still enjoyable. It is nice to read a light, fluffy sweet story that is a quick, easy read once in awhile. While this book isn't one that I will be quick to reread, I do think it will be one that I will return to again at some point. Sleeping Beauty is one of my favorite fairy tales and the author put a new spin on it that kept me interested. Overall, I'm sure you can find stories with a stronger plot-line with more twists and unexpected turns, but it's hard to find fresh story-lines in Christian fiction. And Ms. Dickerson has picked a good little niche for herself. I'm intrigued as to what she'll come up with next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Healer's Apprentice.