Staci C's Reviews > Free Falling

Apr 09, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: first-reads
Read from May 14 to 15, 2012 , read count: 1

I got this book through goodreads giveaways.

Things I liked about the book:
-Story was compelling.
-Not an incredibly tough read. Read the whole thing in one sitting.
-A lot of intense action that kept me wanting to read the next chapter.
-Very good basic storyline.

Things I thought were ok, but could use some improvement:
-Characters were a little bit unrealistic. Good guys were all good. Bad guys were all bad. No real nuance.
-Dialogue was a pretty unrealistic and cliche.
-Outcome was pretty unrealistic. Characters kept pointing out how things don't always work out like they do in the movies, but then everything pretty much worked out exactly as it would in a movie. Characters prevail against nearly impossible odds with none but old or evil characters dying.
-Also, it never really explains how they escape the cabin at the end. Seems like it should have been quite a bit harder than that.

Things I didn't like:
-As a non-religious person, I wasn't impressed with all the "God will take care of us if we act like sheep" rhetoric. Although I do find it likely people would become more religious in such a situation, I see it more as a need to feel like there is someone in control, in order to give us the illusion of safety.
-Also wasn't crazy about all the "technology is bad" sorta vibe to it. While I can agree that our lives are pretty soft and we very spoiled, the book seemed to be pushing a kind of "a simpler life would lead us to god" sort of attitude, which might be true, but I obviously differ with the author on whether or not that would be a good thing.

I still enjoyed the book despite the things I didn't like, but there was a bit of eye rolling through certain sections. I did have to Hooray for 10 year old John when he every once in a while pointed out something absurd his parents were attributing to god.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Free Falling.