Sinn's Reviews > Red-Headed Stepchild

Red-Headed Stepchild by Jaye Wells

Apr 09, 12

Every time I picked up this book, it sounded as though it could be a good read. However, for some reason or the other, I ended up putting in back on the shelf. And, let me tell you, I am happy I finally convinced myself to buy it with my Christmas money!

The story follows Sabina Kane, half vampire/half vampire assassin working for one of the largest vampire groups around. However, even though she is good at her job and her grandmother is 1/3 of the ruling body, she still feels the pinch of being an abomination. In order to win the approval of her grandmother, she takes on a seemingly impossible case: infiltrate a rival upstart, determine the identity of his mole, and assassinate him. However, being a half vampire/half demon, it seems impossible. And here starts the crazy adventure of political intrigue and an unknown quest to find her identity.

First off, I enjoyed that Wells didn't take the typical, clique vampire approach. Granted, that being said, she did know of take the vampire origin (being from Cain) from Masquerade. Either way, I loved the concept of the vampires being the children of Cain and Lilith. In addition, making all of the vampires have red hair due to Cain's mark was brilliant! I also liked the animosity between the vampires and other races. It was interesting to see how the vampires views themselves as a superior race. I know that part has been done before, but her approach felt different.

I absolutely loved the banter between Sabina and Giguhl! Many times, I had to read large sections to my husband! It was just awesome and hilarious! Something about a demon being a hairless cat is priceless! Along with that, all of her supporting characters were well fleshed out without taking the main focus off of Sabina.

One of my hangups with the book was the editing. Many times I had to stop and reread an entire section multiple times. Some of them could be a simple case of typos; however, it ended up pulling me completely out of the book. And, at some level, that is almost unforgivable. Her editor needed and editor. Unfortunately, those mistakes keeps the book from a 5 skull rating.

Aside from the major drawback, the book was well written, very well paced, and fun! I tore through this book in a matter of days and picked up the second one. If you're looking for a good urban fantasy, this one might be right up your alley!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red-Headed Stepchild.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

If it ain't good I don't read it ! Okey u all can't ovesliy read ???
This book is not only stupid it's also dumb the author can't write for shit did u all not see the story line it was AWSAME the book was great I loved it :)
Looool haaha I like doing a twist to my comments lol but anyways this book is still great I love that she can fight and can kick anyone's ass any day couse i dont like the chicks that just sit around waiting for fuckin prince charming to save there weak asses like come on are u serious bitch get up and fight !!! . Thnk god she wasnt that kind of character cause if she was I'd be ripping my eye sockets out right now that and she had a twiin sister I got to say I didn't in a million years see that coming I thought here dad was a very powerful Mage or something but a twin ??? !!! Yup total awsamness.
Also I am sorta sad that her romeeee died i was starting to like her .... Who I'm I kidding I loved her she was hilarious but the person I fell in love with from the beginning is the deman repufhul I think was he's name ?? I dont remember but I love that deman he is so freaken funny I died from the moment he said sorry after he shot her that was priceless and when he sat around on her couch ordering stuff off t.v killer i swear he was freakin funny anyway what I'm trying to say is I lovvvve thisss book but I can't seem to find any books like this so (drum rolls plz ) if u happen to now any book LIKE ThIS (key words) let me know and not books where the chick sits around for some shitty ass princes to swip her off her feet couse i swear if i read any more of those book Imma sue I seriously don't get why people read those kind of books like whats the point she can't fight for shit , no action in the book , same story line over and over again ( bitch gets herself into trouble prince charming over here who is by the way fuckin 300 400 years older then her Save her sorry mother fuckin ass and they live happily ever after like dude chill pedo alert age difference what the fuck where u thinking surly 400 year of living would have given u common sense ?? Oh but who could blame him cause that's not all bitch over her nows the age difference but is MADLY in love ( u hoe ) and I thought the dude had issues nope oh wait that's not all then they fuck them selfs sense less then they come to the conclusion they need to get married blah bah then they live happily for a while after then some shit a excuse of a villain pops up and the dude fights him but miss hoe over her want to help .... gets caught by villain ( climax of the story ) prince charming saves her the fucken stupid ending . So if u read books like that save your selfs time couse This is exactly what the fuck happens in shitty books like this !! you only live once that you must now so go find something worth reading couse books like that are just stupid.

Okey u probably get the point so yeah ....

Oh and if u know any books that the main character is not a detactive beacouse that shit just piss me of those detactive walking around waving fuckin badges in ur face like what the fuck get that shitt outta me face bitch detactive my ass like u serious ??? Imma bout to serve ur head on a platter ! Mather fucker lets see u wave that shit it my face again I'm gonna call your boss and tell him you took a PERMANENT vacation to plattervania v
Lol plz feel free to rate\ add as a friend like who wouldnt lol ) oh and plz sent me a meggage if u have a book that has anything I just described in it thnx pce