Eric's Reviews > The Mumbo Jumbo Circus

The Mumbo Jumbo Circus by Jane George

Jun 13, 2012

bookshelves: circus, fantasy, young-adult
Recommended for: Those who can appreciate circus magic
Read on June 12, 2012 , read count: Once

I picked up a Kindle copy of this book for free on Amazon.com. It was well worth my time. While a good deal of the story's elements have been well-paved by other young adult novels, such as Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and Twilight, the writing is enchanting and infectious, and it had me turning pages from the beginning through the end.

The protagonist is the teenage Evan, and her story is a bildungsroman. Evan has a bad home situation, and runs away to join a magical circus, where she hones her "donvrai," or true gift, while two boys compete for her romantic attention. She meets talking animals and shape-shifters, discovers magic within herself, confronts her benefactor's evil uncle, and in the process, grows into quite a heroine.

The resolution at the end felt a little flat, however, as the evil uncle, Shock Jacques, and his Cirque Patron is still thriving in Las Vegas. But, this sets The Mumbo Jumbo Circus up nicely for a sequel, which I would read, as I'd love to spend more time with this motley cast of characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mumbo Jumbo Circus.

Comments <span class="mediumText">(showing 1-6)</span>

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 6: by Jane (new)

Jane George Thanks, Eric! The Kindle version is free through Tuesday, 4/10/12.

Eric What amazing times we live in that authors can be in direct contact with readers. Social networking is so cool.

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane George =)

Eric Jane, are you planning a sequel?

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane George Hi Eric,

The Daring Young Man is the next book in the series and will be out in September. Here's the blurb:

Dante Delgado (16) was once one of the few trapecistas able to do a quadruple somersault. Now, his family's circus in Mexico is bust, his hand is crippled from an accident in a meat-packing plant, and he's selling oranges (and sleeping) on the streets of L.A. Can he stomach joining The Mumbo Jumbo Circus as a translator in order to avoid a murderous gang? Or will the circus turn out to be the more dangerous choice?

The MJC crew and Shock Jacques are there too!

Thank you for your thoughtful review. I appreciate it.

Jane

Eric Thanks, looking forward to it.