Ashley - Book Labyrinth's Reviews > Clockwise

Clockwise by Elle Strauss

Apr 09, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: ebook, for-review, from-author, canadian, young-adult
Read from April 16 to 18, 2012

Clockwise was a really cute book that I definitely enjoyed. I'm a sucker for time travel novels, and it was interesting to read about time travel happening with no warning and always going back to the same time period. I didn't quite get all the specifics about it, such as why when you ended up in the past you still had your regular clothes on, but when you went back to the future (ha, I couldn't help the reference, especially with Back to the Future being references in the text) you always ended up back in those normal clothes no matter what else you were wearing. I also would've thought that injuries might heal when you went back to the future because of that change of state with clothing, but apparently not.

Time travel specifics aside, I did enjoy the main character. I thought Casey was sweet and a little awkward, but with great inner strength and intelligence. Nate was kind of a dud as a love interest, though. He was that cute popular boy character, and I suppose he's more true to life than most YA love interests in that his friends were jerks and he gets dared into doing things, but I just didn't feel like his character got developed as much as he could have.

While this isn't an instant favourite I definitely liked it well enough. It's an enjoyable first instalment to a series, and with some stronger editing it could be really good. I loved the concept of the book, and I found myself really enjoying the scenes that took place in the past, as well as all the developments with characters there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwise.