Nicole's Reviews > Urban Shaman

Urban Shaman by C.E. Murphy

Jan 03, 2010

bookshelves: own
Read in January, 2010

Urban Shaman is an example of why I have a love-hate relationship with series books that have been out for some time before I read them: I love the fact that I can go get the next book now instead of having to wait for it to be released, but I hate that it’s been out all this time (sitting on my shelf, even) and I haven’t read it before this.

The book (and presumably the series) focuses on Jo Walker, who hasn’t opened up to her shaman powers until she, herself, is in dire need of healing. She comes to the mystic stuff naturally, being of Irish and Cherokee blood. She’s essentially turned it off, however, until forced to acknowledge it.

As with any book, there are things that will annoy some readers and slip completely past others. Some descriptions get more focus than others, and there will be times when you have to stretch your disbelief a touch more than is, perhaps, comfortable.

But you know what? This is fantasy. We should expect that of a fantasy novel.

All told, I really enjoyed this book. It’s always hard to place a book in a numerical ranking of all the books I’ve read, so I’m not even going to try. But it was well written, well paced, and just plain fun.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Urban Shaman.