David 's Reviews > Creation Regained: Biblical Basics for a Reformational Worldview

Creation Regained by Albert M. Wolters

Apr 09, 12

bookshelves: bible, christianity-and-culture, philosophy, theology
Read in April, 2012

The point of this book is to provide a Christian world-view. Christians look at the world through the grand narrative of Creation-Fall-Redemption-New Creation. An epilogue to the latest edition answers some questions people asked about the original (what about the Old Testament, how does that fit?).

A few random, not-really-review, thoughts:

When I think of "Reformational" today I think of the churches, groups, pastors and scholars who can be described as the "New Calvinism" or the "Young, Restless and Reformed". This book paints another side of "Reformed" Christianity. I, personally, find much of the "New Calvinism" to be more like a "New Fundamentalism" as well as kind of closed to other Christians in an arrogant sort of way (in other words, those of us who are not Calvinists might be Christians...if we're lucky). But the style of Reformed thinking in this book I can deeply resonate with. The authors quote, positively, people like NT Wright and Leslie Newbigin, both also "Reformed" but certainly not young or restless.

The greatest value in this book is that it teaches people to be biblical in the right way. It does not say that every single question has an answer in the Bible, in that you can quote chapter and verse. Instead, the Bible is a tool through which you see the world (hence the term, worldview). The Bible, the narrative Creation-Fall-Redemption-Restoration, is a pair of glasses to help you understand everything else.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Creation Regained.