Marivi Gonzalez's Reviews > Eating Animals

Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer

Apr 09, 12

Should be required reading for all citizens of earth.

I've read a lot of books on the food industry and this is by far the best. It reads like a novel, is incredibly well documented, funny, and lets factory farmers and animal activists speak on their own terms. Eating Animals is a well-reasoned book that details the thought process of the author as he comes to the decision to become a vegetarian and raise his son as a vegetarian. Foer never preaches, he does not try to make you vegetarian, he shares his own beliefs and asks us to live by our own standards, not his. Foer reveals a lot of personal and intimate information as though to make a connection with the reader. His storytelling is so compelling that you hardly realize how much information he's conveying. Eating Animals is a serious book that will change the way you live.

We are a society obsessed with mass consumption regardless of the consequences. I think we have become the most mindless individuals in history despite "all the progress". We are trashing the planet by buying things that make our life easier and our lives "better". At what price must we continue to do this? We are eating ourselves in the process, making ourselves sick, depleting the earth and our souls with the never ending cycle of irresponsible consumption. I think that it would be very difficult to read this book and not be moved to reevaluate or change your eating and food buying behavior. It should be required reading in schools and should be available as a documentary so that more people get to the information told in such a moving way.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eating Animals.