Andrea thebusybibliophile's Reviews > The Immortal Rules

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

May 09, 12

bookshelves: arc, netgalley
Read from April 09 to 11, 2012

Ya’ll. I don’t know what to say here… Seriously, this book was way more than I was expecting.

Allie and the other ‘Fringers’ (those unregistered humans that lived in the Fringe) scrounged for supplies in abandoned buildings and homes and hunted rats so they wouldn’t have to eat spiders or cockroaches. They barely survived and lived by 1 rule – every man for himself. But Allie still managed to help her friend Stick when he was too weak to do things for himself. She didn’t take crap from anyone and wasn’t afraid to punch someone in the face for being a dick. She was a complex character who really went through the ringer. She fought hard just to survive and even agreed to become a soulless bloodsuckers to avoid dying. Once she became a vampire, she fought the urge to become a monster and struggled to maintain her humanity.

This book reminded me of The Host and The Passage because they also were separated into different sections and the protagonist in all of them went on a long journey. This one was separated into 3 parts: Allie’s time in the Fringe, her time with Kanin when he taught her to be a vampire and her time with the traveling band of humans. Some of it was a little slow (how many vampire lessons did we really need?) but the action soon picked up. There was some gore, but I wouldn’t call it excessive. There were a lot of scares and tense moments and every once in a while I found myself skipping paragraphs just to get past the extra suspenseful parts!

There were also some sweet moments, mostly featuring Zeke. His adopted father was the leader of the group of humans Allie found herself in the middle of for the last quarter of the book. Jebediah clearly had secrets he was keeping from the group and Allie discovered he had some parenting issues I wasn’t expecting.

This is my first novel by Julie Kagawa so I don’t know if this is exemplary of her writing style, but I just couldn’t put this down. It sucked me right in from the beginning and did not let go.
I really dislike the cover. It totally fits the story but it seems so in your face to me. It’s saying “Hey, look at me with my red eye and gross bloody tears! This is a VAMPIRE novel!” I wish it were more subtle.

The sum up: Every single vampire fan should read this NOW. The action and amazing writing make it a standout.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immortal Rules.

04/10/2012 page 100
21.0% "Intense and surprising."