Erin Newell's Reviews > The Elephant Keeper

The Elephant Keeper by Christopher Nicholson

Apr 10, 12

Read in April, 2012

I cannot remember where I picked up this book, but someone somewhere mentioned to me that it was a good read. It's set in 18th century England and is clearly about an elephant keeper. It's separated into several books. The first few books were interesting enough, but then things got weird in the 4th or 5th book. I wish I would have stopped before reading on. The first few books are all about this boy turning into a man, and how he takes care of two elephants bought by his "master" when he was young. There are some very cute and endearing stories, and some really interesting information about elephants. Then it goes to this boy being in London and turning into a total creeper. Visiting prostitutes, fantasizing about elephants and other weird plot lines. I thought this book was going to be a upper after reading the Hunger Games books. I was looking for a lighter read. I finished it fairly disappointed and confused. It was a very easy read and I finished it in a few days while I was traveling over Spring Break, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're really into elephants.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Elephant Keeper.