Christina (A Reader of Fictions)'s Reviews > The Other Countess

The Other Countess by Eve Edwards

Apr 10, 12

Read from April 09 to 10, 2012

I completely adored this book. Of course, I'm a sucker for period pieces, but, hey, this was definitely a good one, even coming on the heels of Grave Mercy. Ellie is a fantabulous, feisty girl. She is well-educated and doesn't conform to society's expectations of her. If someone tries to take advantage of her or lie to her, she calls them out on it and defends herself. Love her.

Her dad is seriously frustrating. If I were her, I would have left him behind ages ago if possible. She feels a loyalty to him, even though he's always neglected her for his alchemy. On the one hand, I do admire her for this, but it's also sad because she's so strong and commanding when dealing with other men but so weak to her father. No one can mess you up like your parents!

Books like this you don't really read for the plot. Obviously, it's about romance and you pretty much know what essentially is going to happen from the opening pages. However, that's no problem if the journey is a good one. And, oh my, but it is. I loved that Edwards added in some serious historical elements, like the religious persecution in Elizabethan England. Plus, I totally dig the Shakespearean flair the romantic shenanigans have.

The story also follows, although slightly less frequently, Lady Jane. Based on her introduction, which has her falling prey to the seduction of an obvious rake, I expected to loathe her. However, I came to like her too. She's no Ellie, of course, but beneath her exterior, she's just a person longing to be loved like the rest of us. Besides, it's no wonder she has become so cold on the surface with everyone after her money and only her awful brother for company.

Apparently, the next book, The Queen's Lady, will continue on with her story. Thank goodness for that, because I was really disappointed not to read her happy ending! Moving on to book two posthaste!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Countess.

Quotes Christina (A Reader of Fictions) Liked

Eve Edwards
“She's everything I want: the key to my lock, the arrow to my bow - oh, and ten thousand other such pathetic poetic tropes, none of which comes close to describing what she means to me.”
Eve Edwards, The Other Countess