Nola Redd's Reviews > The Business of the 21st Century

Apr 09, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: nonfiction-financial
Read from April 09 to 15, 2012

A quick and easy read, this Kiyosaki book focuses on his favorite biz, network marketing. It extolls the high points of it and focuses on the benefits of the passive income gleaned.

Kiyosaki points out that it's not all easy money and that it takes a good five years to put into play, but he glosses over a number of points that stood out to me as a previous home party person. The dominant one, to me, was the building of a team. You have to be constantly working with and training that team, even as your team grows into the hundreds, or you will find yourself slowly losing people (well, you will anyway, but the dropout rate will increase with less connection). Similarly, while I've been out of the business for a number of years, I feel he misses a few things inherent to the sales portion of the business. Namely, he discusses video presentations and celebrates how "gone are the days of lugging boxes of samples everywhere." Yet, as a woman who gets frequently invited to these parties/shows, I know most women (the primary customers) are there to *see* the goods and get an idea of it, and second to socialize, which just can't be done while watching a video. And the sales aspect is important when it comes to the recruitment aspect, because shows are generally where you find people who want to sell. Not to mention that the money from residual income comes from...sales of your downline. I will also say that reading this made me reconsider whether or not I wanted to get back into the business; I really liked his point that it takes five years to build a business, any biz, including network marketing, as well as the point that most people fail because they aren't treating it as a traditional business and are immediately blowing their earnings rather than reinvesting.

I will caveat that I stopped my direct sales career after two years, so I'm not speaking from the earning perspective.

In short, I felt he presented network marketing more as a pyramid scheme, but fails to factor in some of the work - or at least to discuss it.

Furthermore, while I know Kiyosaki often talks about his failures as a writer, his poor mechanics shone through most clearly in this book than in previous works. It seems his previous cowriter(s) did him a great service, as did his editor (this book is, I believe, self-published, or rather, published by his company to meet his goal of 1-2 books/year).

I did enjoy some of the points, but the writing style and the feeling that much was lacking left me wanting more, making this my least favorite Kiyosaki book to date (and if I haven't read all of them, I've read most).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Business of the 21st Century.

04/09/2012 page 33