Joel Simon's Reviews > Churchill

Churchill by Paul  Johnson

Jun 03, 12

bookshelves: biography, history, non-fiction
Read from May 29 to June 03, 2012

"Churchill", by Paul Johnson< is a fabulous, short biography of Winston Churchill. So much has been written about Winston Churchill that it is always hard to imagine why anyone needs to write another book about him. I have often been hesitant to start one of the lengthy, in depth biographies about him because it seems as if I'd need months to complete it. And I know I would want to complete it, because Churchill is one of my favorite people. I find him truly astonishing in so many ways -- especially in the wide variety of pursuits he managed to tackle with a high level of quality and commitment (as a politician, soldier, writer and historian, painter, husband and father). Paul Johnson has written a lively, entertaining and accessible portrait of Churchill. One reviewer described it by saying that Johnson has written a book that allows us to spend some time in the company of Churchill, and it is really true. It would be hard to find a better biography with which to spend a few afternoons or evenings and it will leave you inspired and awed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Churchill.