Susan Love's Reviews > Life

Life by Keith Richards

F 50x66
Jul 05, 2012

Read from April 09 to July 05, 2012 — I own a copy

I've read a few musician autobiographies, so I thought I knew what to expect with this one. Everybody knows about Keith Richard, right? Drugs. Rock 'n' roll. Sex. More drugs. What surprised me was how much of the book was about music: tunings, chord progressions, genres, recording, and so on. Let's hear from Keith, talking about open tuning on a five-string guitar: "Always underneath it was this underlying one note that went through it. And you listen to some of that meticulous Mozart stuff and Vivaldi and you realize that they knew that, too. They knew when to leave one note just hanging up there where it illegally belongs and let it dangle in the wind and turn a dead body into a living beauty." The thought he puts into making the music and the depth of his knowledge, plus his obvious intelligence, gave me a respect for Keith Richards I never thought I'd have. This is in contrast to Eric Clapton, who had nothing interesting to say, no insight to offer into his music, and proved to be an empty, boring individual. Nobody will ever say Keith Richards is empty OR boring.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life.

05/25/2012 page 139