Travis's Reviews > The Ghost of Melody Lane

The Ghost of Melody Lane by Lilian C. Garis

M_50x66
Apr 09, 12

bookshelves: mystery

At the time, Nancy drew was a big deal, so everybody was trying to create their own version. That's basically what this series is: watered down Nancy Drew.
It has all the same elements: the spunky young girl, her friends, a nice guy that may become a romantic interest etc, but it all feels very flat and by the numbers.
Even the mystery, one of those 'is the big, old house haunted?' ones, that I am generally a fan of is weak, lacks any suspense and has a resolution that makes you go 'really? that's it?'

Our hero, Carol, is likable enough, and unlike most girl detectives has money worries, which give her a bit of depth, but all she seems to do is worry, it's always someone else, either an adult or her 'maybe' boyfriend that fixes things.

The fact that she solves the mystery, while seemingly having spent the book really not doing much or thinking things through feels more like the author going 'What? I only have ten pages left? Better wrap this sucker up!' than Carol having any kind of investigative genius.

There's the occasion bit of humor or cleverness but otherwise there's nothing to make this stand out from the 42 other ND clones out there at the time and nothing that makes me interested in trying another one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ghost of Melody Lane.