Gwynn White's Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Jul 02, 12

bookshelves: dystopia, adventure, romance, young-adult
Read in June, 2012

Let me begin by saying that I really enjoyed this book. I think Tris is wonderful and I really empathised with her. (And I can't help comparing her to Katniss, who also had an incredibly traumatic time, but didn't - in my mind - perform nearly as well under pressure.) I also liked the portrayal of her relationship with Tobias. It worked for me that they had to find each other in this book. It wasn't just love - they had to come to know and trust each other - their relationship had to mature or break up.

But I don't give it five stars. Why?

A few reasons.

World building: Hmmm. I was hoping that Insurgent would answer some of my questions about this world, but it appears that we have to wait for book three. That troubles me, because I kept asking myself who made the guns, and bullets, and trains, processed the gasoline, tinned the food... okay, I know, I know. But still, I wanted answers because there is no mention of factories, or how this world came about. Book three is it, I suppose.

Evelyn: Coin, from Hunger Games, revisted? It feels that way. Or maybe just another version of Jeanine Matthews. I would have liked her to be different, somehow. Okay, I know I'm nitpicking, but Divergent was SO good and I had such high expectations for Insurgent.

Too many minor characters... I admit that I'm probably slow, but I kept loosing track of the minor characters - Lynne, Marlene, Cara - and who they were dating and what faction they were in. But that said, I loved Uriah.

But for all my gripes, they are minor. I really enjoyed the book and can't wait for the next one.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.

06/27/2012 "Wow, wow, wow, and yet another wow. Loving this."