Taylor Moore's Reviews > The Boys Start the War

The Boys Start the War by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor

Apr 08, 12

I really enjoyed this book! I originally read this series in the 4th grade and still enjoyed it more than ten years later. Naylor's series are all so very different, so it was fun to try to make connections between this series and the Shiloh trilogy and Alice series. This book, which focuses on a neighbor, boy vs. girl rivalry in which sibling alliances take turns playing pranks one another, is not only extremely funny and entertaining, but it has undertones of consequentialism. This book, like Shiloh, stresses that one often "gets what they deserve," in a much more light-hearted way. Personally, I would love to read this book to a third or fourth grade class as a "reward book." This book is more for entertainment than literary analysis, but there could still be some discussion through this book that leads to the possibility of moral growth. Furthermore, I feel as if boys and girls would both enjoy this book equally!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boys Start the War.