Kirsten's Reviews > The Lying Tongue

The Lying Tongue by Andrew    Wilson

Aug 26, 08

Recommended to Kirsten by: B&N Mystery Book Club
Read in August, 2008

** spoiler alert ** I really enjoyed this novel - really enjoyed it. Which makes it all the more disturbing as the narrator was one of the more loathsome characters I'd ever read. *shudders* It was a very astute decision of the author to gradually express by degrees the true nature of the narrator. He was a flaming sociopath!!! There were so many times while reading this book I just wanted to call the cops. Just gave me the creeps. It was a very accurate portrayal of the reasoning and thinking process of a sociopath.

Gordon Crace, on the other hand, I had been expecting to be very sinister. He may have been a little repulsive at first. But whereas the narrator became more loathsome with time, Crace became less so. In the end, I just found myself pitying him. Even though he had some less altruistic qualities, he did seem to be a much more redeeming character.

The plot twist at the end was delightful. I should've expected something like that. After all, at no point do we ever see the narrator actually think too far ahead. Plus, Crace has lived so much longer that we should never have accepted that the narrator could fool him that easily. What it really reminded me of were those Twilight Zone episodes narrated by Rod Serling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lying Tongue.