Tony's Reviews > The 25th Hour

The 25th Hour by David Benioff

M_50x66
Apr 15, 12

Read in April, 2012

Loved City of Thieves by this author, so I ordered this immediately upon finishing it. I finished it in less than two days. Granted, it isn't a long novel, but that's not the point. The main characters-- three best friends from High school-- are all well drawn, the dialogue is perfect, and the drama that encompasses the 24 hour period over which this novel is set (each chapter comprises one hour) is highly compelling. It is several things: a slice of life in New York city that rings very true, a "buddy"story, a contemplation of morality and social responsibility, and just a good compelling story wrought with suspense and tension, and interwoven with genuine humour and social observation that seems effortlessly conveyed by the author. I loved each of the characters with their individual flaws, I loved the glimpses into different parts of New York city life (a day in the life of a broker, a teacher, a small-time dealer, a night at a hot-spot Rave), and I loved the contemplation of a young man who knows he is leaving behind the city that he loves deeply for a seven year prison term, all because he got caught up in cultivating "sway" (a word that encompasses pull or privelege, swagger, and reputation). Just excellent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 25th Hour.