Adriana's Reviews > Would You

Would You by Marthe Jocelyn

Nov 07, 08

bookshelves: ya-family-grief
Read in November, 2008

I read Jocelyn's How it happened in Peach Hill and enjoyed it, so I was happy to read Would You. The book has a very different feel and premise. The style is short paragraphs that go from day to day, in a span of about a week or so. Natalie ('Nat') is enjoying her summer before her 11th grade year. Her older sister Claire is 18 and about to head off to college. Claire has always been pretty, popular, likeable, outgoing, and happy. Natalie looks up to her and in some ways feels a bit overshadowed by her. Everything changes when Claire is struck by a car and left in a coma. The text is very short and poignant, I do admit I shed a few tears. However, I didn't give it 4 stars because I felt like Natalie's character could have been more developed. I don't feel like she changed or grew that much, so I was left feeling like 'what was the point of all of this?'. The ending was anti-climatic. I know death and dying is kind of a popular theme in YA literature right now, but the book could have gone farther. That isn't to say I didn't enjoy it, and I would recommend it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Would You.