Heather's Reviews > Critical

Critical by Robin Cook

F 50x66
Aug 26, 2008

liked it
Recommended for: medical mystery junkies
Read in August, 2008

I've read nearly all of Cook's earlier works but at some point later in his writing realized he gets on a major soap box with every recent novel so I skipped a few. Not sure when it started, but this one is no exception.

It is current by having MRSA (antibiotic resistant staph) as one of the stars but I found myself skimming to get the gist and get it over and done. There was a LOT of medical description that I didn't have the brain power to digest. However, I like reading Robin Cook because he uses words that expand my vocabulary.

I picked this up because it has Jack Stapleton and Laurie Montgomery, characters I enjoyed from previous books. They were not in it as much as I had hoped. Instead some "two-bit mafioso types" figured prominently and I found them repulsive. (Hence the aforementioned skimming). Still, it had an interesting plot and while I suspected the ending, I wasn't positive until very close to the end.

I am lukewarm about this book but if you don't have Lyme disease, can keep track of all the people, don't mind the soapbox aspect and like reading a lot of medical jargon, go for it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Critical.