Aestas Book Blog's Reviews > Once Burned

Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost

Apr 08, 2012

"I want to know what your end game is."
Another flash of teeth, this time showing his fangs. "To have you screaming my name within the hour."

The Vlad we have come to love from the Night Huntress series finally gets his own series!

I liked it the book - it was a good light PNR read. But honestly, Vlad felt a little different here than he did in the NH series and this book just didn't have quite the same heart-racing intensity that the Cat & Bones books have, but still, it did not disappoint.

An accident has left Leila scarred and with an ability to both electrocute people and see their pasts, futures, and darkest sins. Vlad is THE Vlad, the man behind the Dracula myth - but really a very old, very strong, psychokinetic vampire with a lot of enemies. When Leila is caputured by said enemies in an attempt to seek out and destroy Vlad, he swoops in to the (flaming) rescue and takes her back to his castle, determined to use her abilities to help him hunt the enemies down. What neither of them counted on was their attraction to each other and Vlad is determined to make her his.

Despite it having been almost a year since I read the last book in this world, I was very pleased that the writing made it such that it didn't take long to reenter it and refamiliarize myself with all its rules.

The writing style is very laid back and fun, the story has fast-paced action, great dialogue and of course hot steam! *fans self thinking of the shower scene*

"Beautiful and diabolical. You make me impatient indeed to claim you."
I shivered... If he used that same tone of voice in bed, he could probably get away with skipping foreplay."

Vlad was his usual kick ass, arrogant, ruthless, bossy, smarter-than-his-enemies survivor, but in this book, we also get to see a different side of him as well and get insight into what happened in his life to make him into the vampire he is today.

"I'm the only authentic Vlad. Everyone else is merely an envious imitation."

Leila was a wonderful match for him - she was soft, yet also very strong, stubborn, and kick ass in her own right.

There were a lot of things they had to come to terms with - Vlad had to battle his inner demons that make him very wary of completely giving his heart over to love, Leila has to come to terms with the fact that the man she is falling in love with can also be a ruthless vampire, and there is a constant stream of danger keeping them on their toes.

And of course there was a BRILLIANT cameo from Cat & Bones that had me grinning and squeeing and totally wanting to go back and reread their series. Love love love that couple!!!! <3

The ending was a bit abrupt, not a cliffhanger, sort of a "happy for now but with lots of unanswered questions" ending.

Here's how I see Vlad and Leila:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Burned.

06/30/2012
7.0% ""Don't panic," Marty had said. "Prey panics, and then prey gets eaten.""
06/30/2012
16.0% "Wow that was quite the entrance Vlad! :))
I'm too tired to keep reading and I don't want to be drowsy and miss anything. I missed this world so much! Can't wait to finish it tomorrow :)"
07/01/2012
16.0% ""If electrocution is your way of flirting, then I commend you on your originality.""
07/01/2012
26.0% ""No wonder you need such a large house. Your overconfidence wouldn't fit in anything smaller."

I gotta put this down now.... Can't wait to keep reading this evening though :)"
07/01/2012
30.0% ""Two Leila's seemed to be battling it out inside of me. The first was outraged that he still considered it a fair accompli that I'd give in to him, and the second... That slutty bitch was wondering what Vlad looked like naked."" 13 comments
37.0% "BONES!!!!!!! Ive missed you <3" 15 comments
07/01/2012
45.0% " "Beautiful and diabolical. You make me impatient indeed to claim you."
"
07/01/2012
47.0% " "I want to know what your end game is."
" 8 comments
58.0% "Hell yeah Vlad's a multi-tasked!! Mmmhmmm! :p" 3 comments
07/01/2012
68.0% "This book is really good but I'm too sleepy to go on tonight. Can't wait to get to the infamous shower scene tomorrow :)"
07/02/2012
69.0% "Hahaha oh Vlad! Some a drama queen! But I will say, I'm seriously pleased. Now THAT is the way to reveal your true nature... I've so often wondered in other books why vamps didn't just show off like that to prove who they were. Go Vlad!!" 2 comments
77.0% "*fans self* now THATS a shower scene!" 7 comments
07/02/2012
99.0% "Allll done. Writing review :)"
03/19/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ God I can't WAIT for this book!

message 2: by Dulcinea (new) - added it

Dulcinea Do I need to read Night Huntress before this book?

message 3: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ Hmmm, you may be able to get away with it but I'm sure it would help - both with world building, and with the characters. The Night Huntress books are AWESOME!!!

Aestas Book Blog Yes I would absolutely read them first! Vlad is a very prominent secondary character. And the NH book are amazing!!! Bones is the most drool worthy vamp ever

message 5: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ Hahaha - snap!

Aestas Book Blog LOL! Same time!!

~ Becs ~ 9 days!

message 8: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ Becs wrote: "9 days!"

And counting!!!

Aestas Book Blog I'm excited!!!

~ Becs ~ Me too - I'm just going to abandon all other books when it comes out.

Aestas Book Blog I'm gonna read it along with the final NH book which I haven't gotten around to yet. I want to reread so many series! Not enough time!!!

Dorsey aka ❤️ Wrath Lover Reviews  ❤️ Becs wrote: "Me too - I'm just going to abandon all other books when it comes out."

Me too Becs!!

JenJenBoBin You have not read this yet?? Get on it chick!

Aestas Book Blog Lol after Lucian, I figured I'd read a contemporary romance between him and another PNR guy. I figure no one can live up to him so I'll space out the PNRs. I'm reading Easy tonight, then I'll read this :)

JenJenBoBin I dunno Vlad is pretty hot ... I love how JF books are so easy they flow no work really just read and she lays it all out there no frustration which is a different like but I couldn't read like the whole series of "The Three" in a row or I'd be mental! LOL

Aestas Book Blog I totally agree... JF's books are addictive and flow really easily. Love love love her writing. Does this end on a cliffhanger?

JenJenBoBin Not terribly bad one no just leaves you wanting more adventures with Vlad and Leila :) A HEA for now ... hows that ;)

message 18: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ The ending is very 'Gideon and Eva'. And I like your idea of spacing them out a bit. Vlad is awesome, but you wil need to get over the Lucien fixation to fully appreciate it.

message 19: by Aestas Book Blog (last edited Jun 29, 2012 04:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aestas Book Blog Jennifer wrote: "Not terribly bad one no just leaves you wanting more adventures with Vlad and Leila :) A HEA for now ... hows that ;)"

Ok So basically, typical JF ending :)

Aestas Book Blog AJ wrote: "The ending is very 'Gideon and Eva'. And I like your idea of spacing them out a bit. Vlad is awesome, but you wil need to get over the Lucien fixation to fully appreciate it."

I can hand that :) I really can't wait to read this. I saw hat you changed it to 5 stars!

message 21: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ Yeah... I figured it's not Vlad's fault that I read him directly after Lucien. I don't think any book could compare to that for me *dreamy sigh*.

I thought Vlad's book was better than the others in the NH World, and right up with there the Cat and Bones who consistently rate 5 stars for me. Had to give it an extra star.

Aestas Book Blog Sweet !! Now I'm reeeeally looking forward to it :))

JenJenBoBin If I had to rate it after reading Lucien I would give Vlad 5 stars for not driving me insane! LOL

message 24: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ Team Vlad, woohoo!!!

Aestas Book Blog *grins* the movie was too glitchy so I'm starting this now :)))

message 26: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ I like that! I like it a lot!!!

Aestas Book Blog Lol I figured you would :p
ok... Opening my book :))

JenJenBoBin mmmmmmm Vlad!!! I only wish there was more sex in this one but then again Lucien and Leah had enough for the rest of the entire Brotherhood, NH and NP Series for a month! LOL

Aestas Book Blog Lol! Is this one of those "one sex scene" books?

JenJenBoBin No ... but there is no Ch. 32 if you know what i'm sayin. Got to remember though it wasn't like that either in the first Night Huntress book we had to wait a little while. ;)

Aestas Book Blog It's true... I'll be patient. I think there are very few scenes that can rival Ch 32 :p

message 32: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ There's not a lot, but what is there is QUALITY! There's a particularly great shower scene! ;)

Aestas Book Blog Quality over quantity -I'm totally fine with that! (lol, as that other book you read yesterday perhaps showed :p)
Must get to the infamous shower scene!

JenJenBoBin Yes what I would give to trade places with Laila in the shower! LMAO

message 35: by AJ (last edited Jun 30, 2012 10:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ Hahaha! No, that was just nauseating - especially when compared to the infamous and all-favourite Ch 32! Shower sex with Vlad would definitely be on the 'to do' list!!!

JenJenBoBin I just got a new book not sure if I will read it yet but i put it currently reading so I don't have to "sift" to find it.

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee

Sounded interesting and was only .99 cents :)

message 37: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ That's pretty high up on my TBR, I'll be getting to it very soon. Looks great doesn't it!!!

message 38: by Aestas Book Blog (last edited Jun 30, 2012 10:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aestas Book Blog AJ wrote: "Hahaha! No, that was just nauseating - especially when compared to the infamous and all-favourite Ch 32! Shower sex with Vlad would definitely be on the 'to do' list!!!"

*snicker* us slot hoors and our to-do lists :p

Angelfall is also on my TBR. But I might wait for book 2. I hear it has a cliffhanger

message 39: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ LMAO. Slot hoor and proud baby!

Aestas Book Blog Hmmm... Should add "proud" to our bumper sticker... Maybe at the beginning :p

message 41: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ Definitely :)

JenJenBoBin Yummy!!! Yes Vlad to save the day :)

message 43: by Aestas Book Blog (last edited Jul 01, 2012 07:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aestas Book Blog He sure had quite the flame-y entrance :D

Maria Our bumper sticker keeps growing, shit we might need two!!

JenJenBoBin Vladtastic!

message 46: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ Maria wrote: "Our bumper sticker keeps growing, shit we might need two!!"

I'm actually picturing more of a banner than a bumper sticker...

message 47: by Aestas Book Blog (last edited Jul 01, 2012 07:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aestas Book Blog haha at this point its gonna span from one end of the bumper to the next!

lol, a banner sounds about right..

If we do a tee-shirt. its gonna be one of those ones with microscopic print by the time we are done with out 'title'

JenJenBoBin Ok for me the reason he seems a little different than the Vlad in the Night Huntress books is he isn't doing all that fun back and forth with Cat (the fun snarky comments) I think we only got to see that part of him in the NH books so I had to account for that in my brain and then allow for the other parts and get to know more about him the WHOLE "Vladislav Basarab Dracul former voivode of Wallachia" Muhahahha methinks he's gonna be steamy as hell next book now that they have all the introductions out of the way! :) (view spoiler)

Michelle Tempted By Books Aestas and Jennifer, I agree. Vlad seems different, I actually fell a little out of love with him, after this book. =(

JenJenBoBin I love this pic of her Vlad from her site... hawt! Nom worthy. http://www.frostfans.com/wp-content/u...

« previous 1