Akanksha Ramesh's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Apr 08, 2012

Read in April, 2012

Hunger Games is a teen fiction novel written by Suzanne Collins. It was published in September 2008 by Scholastic. The story is told from the perspective of a 16-year old girl called Katniss Everdeen who has been chosen to participate in a series of events called the Hunger Games, where out of 24 tributes, only one comes out alive.

In a country called Panem, there are 12 districts and there was supposedly a 13th district, but it was bombed after rebellion. Every year the Capitol holds a series of events known as the Hunger Games. Each year, two tributes are chosen from each district to fight to the death, so that only survives. In district 12, 16 year old Katniss Everdeen tries her best to help her small family find food and money. She relies on her excellent archery skills to help her catch game. On the day of the Reaping, Katniss volunteers as tribute to save her 12 year old sister from entering. Chosen along with her is a boy her age named Peeta Malark. They travel to the Capitol, leaving everything behind and meet the other tributes in a training arena. Katniss and Peeta learn from their mentor, Haymitch, that they will have to survive in any condition the Gamemakers choose to create, and that this year it is going to be a wild jungle filled with various obstacles. Katniss and Peeta soon find their strengths and improve their weaknesses, all the while taking advice from Haymitch about the Games. Tributes also can get sponsors, who are ordinary people from the Capitol, and if they think a particular tribute is worth sponsoring, they can send them help in the Games in any form like food or medicine. Katniss and Peeta have to battle their way through the wilderness with nothing but their skills and weapon of choice, but their main worry are their opponents, some of who have been trained to enter the Games from a young age and are ruthless killers. Neither Katniss nor Peeta have any idea who will be that lucky last tribute left standing or what will become of them during the Hunger Games.

Hunger Games is one of the best books I have read because it is a mix of modern content and rural content, so the reader is exposed to what life is like in the Capitol as well as the districts. The Hunger Games themselves were very descriptive and the author used language in a way that made the reader feel what Katniss felt throughout the book. As I read, I was able to visualize the scenes, as I have watched the movie before.

Hunger Games has two sequels- Catching Fire and Mockingjay. This is a teen fiction/fantasy novel, and I would recommend it mainly to teenagers, as some of the language used is a little complex, but I’m sure tweens would also enjoy reading Hunger Games.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

message 1: by Mr. Star (new) - added it

Mr. Star Good work with your review for The Hunger Games. I know this is a very popular book right now and a lot of the Grade 7's have read it. Your plot summary was well written and contained a lot of good details about what the book is about and what happens. I liked that you included the things you liked, but would have liked to see you expand on your ideas. What was it about the modern and the rural that you liked? Were the descriptions really clear? Did Collins show how they were so different? Next time include an example of the descriptive language that you like so much, especially with such exciting scenes at the events of the Hunger Games themselves. What do you think were some of Katniss' best qualities? Good work.