Luckylyn86's Reviews > Slammed

Slammed by Colleen Hoover

May 01, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: family-issues, heart-breaking, pyschological, relationships, romance, sad, morals-ethics, ya, shocking
Read from April 22 to May 01, 2012

I know I'm throwing the curve here giving this one three stars among all these five stars, but I just didn't fall in love with it like everyone else seemed to with this novel. Don't get me wrong there were some really sad, touching moments, but there were a few things that also annoyed me about this book. For instance, I felt like the relationship between Will and Layken developed way too quickly. She was proclaiming she was in love with him after the first date and only knowing him after a few short days. I like a bit of a slow burn when it comes to relationships. Also, I think that the revelation about her mom would have been more potent had it not copied what had already happened to Will. It felt very unrealistic for this same thing to happen to both of these two young adults who are also both inexplicably in love with one another who also both have a younger sibling. It felt a little too kismet to me. On the plus side, I did really like the character Eddie. She was quirky and smart and provided a good source of comic relief during the sadder points in the book. Also, I found Kel to be adorable with his backwards talk, dying snowmen, and unique Halloween custume. So there you have. While I didn't love it, I didn't hate it either.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slammed.

Quotes Luckylyn86 Liked

Colleen Hoover
“Don't take life too seriously. Punch it in the face when it needs a good hit. Laugh at it.”
Colleen Hoover, Slammed

Colleen Hoover
“Question everything. Your love, your religion, your passion. If you don't have questions, you'll never find answers.”
Colleen Hoover, Slammed

04/22/2012 "Desperately hoping this novel lives up to all the hype after having no luck with the last book I read."

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Lyn - how are you liking it?

Luckylyn86 Well, I haven't found anything all that shocking about it yet, but I guess I have to wait till the 60/40 mark so we'll see. I'm just annoyed at how fast these two characters supposedly "fell in love." I always have a hard time with instant love and this one is particularly out of the blue to me, but I'm still trucking--this book couldn't have gotten all those 5 stars as a fluke.

Luckylyn86 btw, are you done with your monster sex book obsession yet? lol!!!!

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 27, 2012 07:53PM) (new)

Finished my last one today. Going back to the real world tomorrow.

Luckylyn86 haha, no more monster smut, how sad!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, but I went out with a bang. I like my last review :)

Luckylyn86 i'll have to go take a peak.

Arlene Very honest review Luckylyn. If you liked Eddie in this book and you're willing to give book two a try, I think you'll adore Kiersten in the next book. :)

Jenn @Luckylyn, I have to comment since I saw you on one of Arlene's feeds about this book. :o) If you loved Eddie, you should know there is a book 3 coming out in Eddie's POV. I think you will like Eddie in book 2. She has a lot going on for her in that book as well. I agree with Arlene, Kiersten is ten times better, or IMO, in book 2. I think you may like book 2 a bit better. You will get more of the boys too, Kel and Caulder, and they will crack you up.

Luckylyn86 I'll have to give it try. Thanks for letting me know Jenn!

message 11: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen Hoover Thanks for the honest review Luckylyn! Slammed is my first attempt at writing a book, so it's really awesome when people leave constructive feedback, especially when there were elements they didn't care for. I take every single comment and review I read into consideration...sometimes soaking in reader feedback is one of the best ways an author can improve their skills. So I truly, truly appreciate everything you said! <3 <3 <3

Luckylyn86 Oh wow, I've never had an author directly contact me because of a review. Very cool. Anyway, I'm happy to voice my thoughts and also would like to point out regardless of anything I said in my review positive or negative the fact that you're a writer and pursued your passion and got published is commendable. I applaud anyone brave enough to put pen to paper and share it with others.