Christie's Reviews > One Moment

Jun 29, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012, need-to-review, swapable
Read from April 08 to 09, 2012

*Sniffle* ♥ this book *Sniffle*

One Moment was not a novel I could devour in one sitting. It took me the better part of two weeks to plow through this story with tear filled eyes. This is a book that had me breaking out the "ugly cry" (don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about). Having lost a close friend to a car accident while I was a sophomore in high school, I found I connected with One Moment on a very personal level. This may also be one of the reasons I had to read in moderate doses. The author does a beautiful job of capturing the voices of teens struggling with a devastating loss and it all just felt so real.

The plot was paced perfectly with a mystery that makes you want to keep reading. I enjoyed getting to know Maggie as she discovered the secrets Joey was hiding, as well as tried to process the grief and guilt she was struggling to contain. The secondary characters added a nice element. I loved the idea of childhood friends growing up together and was fascinated by the author's take on how they would react when a member of their close-knit group was suddenly taken from them. This was one intense read and can still easily conjure residual emotions even weeks after I finished reading. It isn't often I encounter books that have such staying power. One Moment isn't a book I'll forget anytime soon (if ever).

Oh contemporary genre, how I love you and loathe you almost equally. You make me want to read even as you break my heart into tiny little pieces. This is not a genre I venture into often, but I'd do it again with no hesitation if Kristina McBride's name was on the cover. If you haven't read this talented author's work you really must!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Moment.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Briana (new)

Briana I have this book on my to-read list. And after reading your review, I'm feeling kind of torn between reading it and waiting longer. I cry at anything sad. (story of my life) So to read your review makes me iffy. BUT, if it was that good, I really want to find out for myself. :)

Christie I feel ya! I can be such a cry baby LOL I think that is why I'm not a big contemporary fan (especially with super sad themes), but this is such a well written book I ended up loving it. I found reading a few chapters & then switching to something light for a bit was a nice method. I would have loved to sit & just plow through it, but my heart was aching while reading which just supports how amazing this author is. I hope you give it a shot. Would love to hear what you think :)

message 3: by Briana (new)

Briana I'm really looking forward to it. I just need to wait for my library to get it. btw I laughed when you said "break out the ugly cry". I know exactly what you mean!