jenjn79's Reviews > Sweet Temptation

Sweet Temptation by Maya Banks

Apr 25, 12

bookshelves: series-sweet, 2012, bought-other, condition-used, format-trade-pb, info-full, pbs-received, published-2010, reviewed, genre-romance-erotic, stars-4, theme-menage-group, theme-bdsm, author-maya-banks
Recommended to jenjn79 by: continuation of a series
Read from April 22 to 24, 2012, read count: 1

So far I've liked this one best out of the 4 books of the series that I've read. But it wasn't perfect and it's definitely a book that will not appeal to everyone.

Series Note:
Fourth book in Banks's "Sweet" series, an erotic romance series with BDSM themes and a common set of characters. I don't necessarily think you have to read the other books before this one, but it wouldn't hurt either.

Summary:
Micah Hudson has been running from the tragedy in his life for years, not wanting to remember all the pain and grief from having lost the two most important people in his life. The out of the blue one day, his best friend's little sister, Angelina Moyano, shows up, determined to show Micah she's the woman for him and that she can handle anything he wants from her.

But Micah resists. He still sees Angelina as the teenage her remembers her as. And he doesn't want to risk his heart again. Seeing her, though, he can't resist how much he wants her and can't deny the dominant feelings she brings about him. But Angelina is in danger and he'll have try keep her safe before he can face his feelings for her.

Review:
This series is definitely not a series for everything. It deals pretty heavily with BDSM themes and even those of us with high kink factors get a little twitchy reading this series. In this book, there is a D/s theme, fairly moderate compared to what we got with Serena and Damon, but still strong in that Micah gives Angelina to 3 friends for the night to play with. Not that she minded ;) But that more twitch-worthy theme in this one is the whipping. No light stuff here. Some pretty heavy duty whipping. It'll definitely bother a lot of readers. So beware.

But all in all, I think this is the book I've liked most of the 4 I've read so far. It's the one that worked most overall for me. Both Micah and Angelina are interesting characters with a lot of deep emotional pain. In order to release that pain, they've gravitated toward the BDSM scene and whipping. It's not a comfortable thing to read about but I could understand why each did what they did. For the most part. That being said, I did have an issue with Micah's character, or rather how he got to where he was.

The story is that he was married and in a polyamorous relationship with his wife and his best friend. Just from what we read, they seemed to have a pretty normal, if alternative relationship. It left me wondering how Micah, after their deaths suddenly got into the sex club, BDSM scene, being a Dom, and whipping and just everything that he was in this book. It was all very natural for him so it made it hard to understand how there seemed to be such to divergent sides to his character. I would have liked to understand that a bit better.

Other than that, I really didn't have any other major issues with the book. I liked the relationship that built between Micah and Angelina. They seemed like two people who really understood each other and each other's needs. Micah was a total dick sometimes, but you could somewhat understand it.

Plus, there was a bit of a suspense plot in this book, which is always a bonus, in my opinion. Spices up the story and adds some variety. And I love how things worked out in wrapping up the suspense plot. Some serious ass-kicking there. Loved it.

My only other comment...when I read books like this, with such a heavy emphasis on alternative type relationships...I mean, these two were very sexual, very kinky...whipping, bondage, dominance, groups sex, etc...how do they plan to have a family then? How do you reconcile that lifestyle with having kids because when you have kids, they are a factor in you life 24/7. It's just something that always makes me wonder when I read these heavy BDSM stories.

WARNING, this book contains: explicit sex, explicit language, oral sex, anal sex, heavy bondage, D/s, moderately heavy whipping, threesomes, group sex, rather rough sex...and I think that gives you a pretty good picture of what to expect from this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Temptation.